F1 Feb 20, 2026

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says he is 'philosophically' opposed to FIA's proposed mid-season rule change for F1 engines

👤
By Admin
Sports Journalist
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says he is 'philosophically' opposed to FIA's proposed mid-season rule change for F1 engines

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says he is "philosophically" opposed to the FIA's proposal of a mid-season rule change over a contentious engine element, but says his team are willing to be "good citizens" by accepting it despite it potentially harming their performance.

A dispute over the compression ratio limit of Formula 1's all-new power units for 2026 had seen Mercedes' rival engine manufacturers lobby the sport's governing body to prevent the Silver Arrows from taking a perceived advantage of a loophole in the rules.

The FIA announced on Wednesday it had submitted a proposal for the loophole to be officially closed during the sport's summer break in August, which is set to be voted on before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 8.

For the rule change to be passed, all four of the other engine manufacturers - Ferrari, Red Bull, Honda and Audi - must vote for the alteration along with the FIA and Formula 1.

As he addressed the announcement on Thursday at the penultimate day of pre-season testing in Bahrain, Wolff reiterated his position that Mercedes' rivals were exaggerating the importance of the issue but softened the stance he had previously taken of aggressively pushing back against a possible rule change.

Wolff said: "We said it all along that this looks like a storm in a teacup, the whole thing, and numbers were coming up that were… if these numbers would have been true, I absolutely understand why somebody would fight it, but eventually, it's not worth the fight.

"It doesn't change anything for us, whether we stay like this or whether we change to the new regulations, and that's been a process.

"But we also want to be good citizens in the sport because it doesn't make a big difference we then changed opinion.

"Philosophically, you can disagree with it because I believe regulations are there to be made and you keep the FIA close to you and that's how it should be.

"But if you have four other PU [manufacturers] that are putting immense pressure on the FIA, at a certain stage, what choice do we have than not to play?

"We were pretty comfortable in even having a protest going on Friday in Melbourne, but is this what we want?"

The compression ratio limit has been lowered from 18.0 under the previous ruleset to 16.0, but measurements are currently only taken when the engine is not running at full temperature, with Mercedes' rivals suggesting they are exploiting this by going above the limit when the engine is hot.

Pressed on whether the rule change could harm the performance of the Mercedes power unit, Wolff replied: "I think the way it's being done now [under the proposed change], that it needs to be compliant to the regulations when it's cold and when it's hot, doesn't give anybody an advantage.

"I think the attempt was from the other guys to have it only measured hot so they could actually have it cold outside of the regulations. So, now it's a fair game for everyone."

Wolff also expressed frustration at reports this week that Mercedes' fuel supplier, Petronas, are facing a race against time to have its fuel approved for the opening race in Melbourne.

A report earlier this week on claimed Petronas, who will also supply fuel for the three others teams using Mercedes power units - McLaren, Williams and Alpine, have yet to obtain certification and homologation for their product.

The new sustainable fuels that are being introduced for the 2026 are subject to rigorous checks, and the report claimed a rejection of the Petronas product would see Mercedes and their customer teams forced to use a "provisional" fuel.

Asked about the reports, Wolff said: "This is another of these stories. We were told compression ratio is something that we were illegal, which is total bull***t, utter bull***t.

"And now the next story comes up that our fuel is illegal. I don't know, where that comes from and it starts spinning again.

"Maybe tomorrow we're inventing something else… god knows what?

"Another nonsense. This [the fuel] is a complicated topic and a process and all of this, but there's just not... I can't even comment."

Friday February 20

Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Your Site, starting with the Australian Grand Prix from March 6-8.

Tags:

f1 news

Share this article

Related Posts

F1 pre-season testing 2026: Fastest times and most laps completed by each team at final Bahrain test in Sakhir

F1 pre-season testing 2026: Fastest times and most laps completed by each team at final Bahrain test in Sakhir

Find out who has the fastest times and which teams have completed the most laps at the final F1 pre-season test in Bahrain so far.The test runs from W...

F1 Bahrain testing: Lewis Hamilton endures disrupted final day on track as Kimi Antonelli sets pace for Mercedes

F1 Bahrain testing: Lewis Hamilton endures disrupted final day on track as Kimi Antonelli sets pace for Mercedes

Kimi Antonelli continued Mercedes' impressive showing at Formula 1's final 2026 pre-season test by topping the timesheet as Ferrari faced further disr...

Sky Tempesta Racing: New challenges and big goals for the GT World Challenge Europe season

Sky Tempesta Racing: New challenges and big goals for the GT World Challenge Europe season

Sky Tempesta Racing will take the next step in the young British team's development with new goals and new challenges in its second full year of the GT World Ch...

Juan-Pablo Montoya back with McLaren and back at Indianapolis as Indy 500 build-up begins

Juan-Pablo Montoya back with McLaren and back at Indianapolis as Indy 500 build-up begins

Juan-Pablo Montoya will make his comeback to IndyCar - and McLaren - on Friday as the former F1 driver gears up for the showpiece Indianapolis 500 at the end of...

IndyCar: Romain Grosjean finishes second as Rinus VeeKay becomes newest first-time winner

IndyCar: Romain Grosjean finishes second as Rinus VeeKay becomes newest first-time winner

Rinus VeeKay continued IndyCar's youth movement Saturday by scoring his first career victory with a win on the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.The Du...

Romain Grosjean claims first IndyCar pole position at Indy Grand Prix six months after Bahrain GP F1 crash

Romain Grosjean claims first IndyCar pole position at Indy Grand Prix six months after Bahrain GP F1 crash

Romain Grosjean secured his first IndyCar pole position on Friday just six months after his horrifying crash at Formula 1's Bahrain Grand Prix.The 35-year-old t...