Golf Dec 07, 2025

Tiger Woods: Recovery from back operation not as fast as I'd like - 'I still want to make another comeback'

👤
By Admin
Sports Journalist
Tiger Woods: Recovery from back operation not as fast as I'd like - 'I still want to make another comeback'

Tiger Woods admitted his recovery from a back operation is not as quick as he would like, meaning he cannot put a date on his return to golf or even commit to a playing schedule.

The 49-year-old had disc replacement surgery in October but has only just been cleared to start chipping and putting.

He is hoping to be able to play in the latter stages of the TGL, the indoor simulator made-for-television event which finishes in early March, but has not yet considered when his outdoor season will start.

Woods turns 50 at the end of the month, meaning he qualifies for the PGA Tour Champions season, but the 15-time major winner has not made any commitments on that front yet.

"It's not as fast as I'd like it to be. It was a good thing to do, something I needed to happen, it just takes time and dedication to the rehab process," Woods said ahead of the Hero Word Challenge, live on SportNews.

"Unfortunately I've been through this rehab process before and it's step-by-step. Once I get a feel for the recovery process, I can decide where and when to play.

"Let me get back to playing again, let me do that and I'll figure out the schedule. I just got cleared last week to chip and putt.

"It's been six weeks last Friday [since the operation] and it's been slow.

"You can't really do much with a disc replacement, now we have the OK to start cranking it up in the gym and start strengthening."

Asked why - at his age with his injury history - he wanted to make yet another comeback, Woods, who hosts the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas, added: "My passion to just play, I haven't done that in a long time and it's been a tough year.

"I've had to sit on the sidelines for a number of months of this year and the end of last year. I'd like to come back to just playing golf again."

Woods has not played in a tournament since the 2024 Open at Royal Troon and during his lengthy spell on the sidelines, he has taken a greater role in shaping the future of the game, becoming chairman of the PGA Tour Future Competition Committee.

He is also being linked with the Ryder Cup captaincy for Adare Manor in 2027, having reportedly turned down the job for this year's event which resulted in Keegan Bradley unexpectedly taking the role.

Woods was in contact with the United States team's backroom staff and players involved at Bethpage in September but refused to confirm whether he wanted the job for Ireland.

"No one's asked me about it," he said and when asked to clarify his position, he merely repeated: "No one's asked me about it."

Watch the Hero World Challenge, hosted by Tiger Woods, live this week on SportNews. Live coverage begins on Thursday from 4.30pm on SportNews Golf. .

Tags:

golf news id:13478358

Share this article

Related Posts

Charley Hull wins LET's PIF Saudi Ladies International title to open account for 2026 season in one-shot triumph

Charley Hull wins LET's PIF Saudi Ladies International title to open account for 2026 season in one-shot triumph

Charley Hull won the season-opening Ladies European Tour event with a one-shot victory at the LET's PIF Saudi Ladies International in Riyadh after an...

Charley Hull: Englishwoman makes history by moving to career-high world No 3 with latest Ladies European Tour victory

Charley Hull: Englishwoman makes history by moving to career-high world No 3 with latest Ladies European Tour victory

Charley Hull has moved to world No 3 in the latest Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings – the highest-ever position by an Englishwoman in the rankings’ 2...

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rory McIlroy rues 'destructive tee shots' and 'big numbers' but encouraged by PGA Tour return

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rory McIlroy rues 'destructive tee shots' and 'big numbers' but encouraged by PGA Tour return

Rory McIlroy insists his game is in "a good spot" heading into the Genesis Invitational, despite seeing "sloppy stuff" derail his hopes of a successfu...

DP World Tour: Marco Penge beats Rory McIlroy to Seve Ballesteros Award for 2025 player of the year

DP World Tour: Marco Penge beats Rory McIlroy to Seve Ballesteros Award for 2025 player of the year

England's Marco Penge has won the 2025 Seve Ballesteros Award after being voted the DP World Tour player of the year by his peers. The 27-year-old enj...

Rory McIlroy calls on Team Europe to cut down crowd abuse at 2027 Ryder Cup at Adare Manor in Ireland

Rory McIlroy calls on Team Europe to cut down crowd abuse at 2027 Ryder Cup at Adare Manor in Ireland

Rory McIlroy does not want a repeat of the abuse which surrounded him during Europe's Ryder Cup victory over the United States at Bethpage Black when...

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Collin Morikawa edges PGA Tour thriller after Scottie Scheffler, Rory McIlroy produce big finishes

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Collin Morikawa edges PGA Tour thriller after Scottie Scheffler, Rory McIlroy produce big finishes

Collin Morikawa claimed a first PGA Tour title since 2023 with a dramatic one-shot victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, where Scottie Scheffle...