Tennis

Coco Gauff and teen sensation Iva Jovic make it through to last 16 of Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

👤
By Admin
Sports Journalist
Coco Gauff and teen sensation Iva Jovic make it through to last 16 of Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

Coco Gauff and teen sensation Iva Jovic both made it through to the last 16 of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships on Tuesday.

Gauff avenged her loss to Anna Kalinskaya at the event in 2024 as the American sealed a 6-4 6-4 win in the second round.

Kalinskaya, who reached the quarter-finals in Doha last week, took a medical timeout for treatment on her left leg trailing 4-3 in the opener was never able to properly recover.

The world No 23 racked up 45 unforced errors to only 11 winners, while Gauff, who was coming off an opening loss in Doha to Elisabetta Cocciaretto, committed 12 double faults among her own 33 unforced errors.

"It wasn't the prettiest win but it was enough today," said Gauff. "It was pretty windy. I was just trying to adjust - both of us were struggling with consistency on the court."

In her press conference, Gauff described the match as a "confidence boost" following her losses in Doha and Australian Open quarter-finals to Elina Svitolina.

"Just trying to find form again, which is tough," she said. "Obviously, Anna's a tough opponent. She's beaten some quality players, she beat me here a couple of years ago. I'm happy with how today went. Winning when you're not playing your best is what I'm most proud of."

Gauff will take on Elise Mertens next after the Belgian needed just 75 minutes to defeat Emma Navarro for her first win over the American in three meetings.

Two former Dubai winners, Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic both advanced to the third round via walkover.

Defending champion Andreeva went through after Daria Kasatkina withdrew due to a right hip injury, while Bencic, the 2019 champion, had been due to face wild card Sara Bejlek. However, the 20-year-old Czech was forced to pull out due to an abdominal injury.

Top seed Elena Rybakina continued her superb early season form by crushing Kimberly Birrell 6-1 6-2 to set up a match against Emma Raducanu's conqueror Antonia Ruzic. The lucky loser followed up her three-set win against the British No 1 on Monday by defeating Anastasia Zakharova 6-1 6-7 (2-7) 6-1.

Jovic, 18, came through against Diana Shnaider 6-4 1-6 6-0 to set up a meeting with fourth seed Jessica Pegula.

The American, who was born and raised in California but has Serbian heritage, was ranked No 167 this time last year, and No 2 seed in an ITF W50 event in Spring, Texas.

She only cracked the top 100 eight months ago and quickly broke into the top 50 after winning her first WTA title in Guadalajara.

Four months after that, she reached the Hobart final, the Auckland semi-finals, and made her top 20 debut after reaching her first Grand Slam quarter-final at the Australian Open.

"Even though my ranking is where it is right now, I still feel very new on the tour," she said. "There's a lot of girls that I haven't played yet. I do feel like there's a lot I still need to learn. But obviously it's nice when you feel you're still developing, but you're already in a nice place. I've earned my spot to be in these nice places and hopefully it can stay this way."

Jovic was recently asked if she would go to her idol Novak Djokovic for advice but she admitted it might prove challenging.

"Well, I hope... I don't know if I'm brave enough to do that," Jovic replied. "I'm still a little nervous when I talk to him. He's definitely my idol, but yeah, I see him at every corner.

"I see him on every screen. But just try to be like Novak. I'm going to keep it that simple."

Carlos Alcaraz ensured he kept pace with rival Jannik Sinner's fast start at the Qatar Open, though the top seed was forced to dig deeper in his opening test on Tuesday in Doha.

Competing in his first outing since becoming the youngest man to complete the Career Grand Slam at the Australian Open, the 22-year-old battled past Arthur Rinderknech 6-4, 7-6(5).

Alcaraz saved two set points on serve in a tense second set before prevailing in the tie-break to secure his 150th tour-level hard-court win and extending his flawless start to the 2026 season to 8-0.

World No 33 Stefanos Tsitsipas meanwhile powered past Moez Echargui 6-4, 6-4 to reach the last 16 in Doha.

The Greek Tsitsipas has now set up an epic second-round clash against Daniil Medvedev.

Watch the ATP and WTA Tours, live on Your Site or and the , giving Your Site customers access to over 50 per cent more live sport this year at no extra cost.

Share this article